How to setup Respondus Lockdown Browser
LockDown Browser works much like a standard browser, but some options have been removed or work differently. The list below highlights some of these differences.
1 - ModifiedToolbar - the condensed toolbar includes only Forward, Back, Refresh, and Stop functions.
2 - Assessment Mode - assessments are shown full- screen and cannot be minimized, resized, or exited until submitted for grading.
3 - DisabledControls - all printing, keystroke combinations, screen grab, function keys, and right-click menus have been disabled.
4 - Links- links to other web servers do not compromise the secure testing environment.
5 - BlockedFeatures and Applications - the Start button (Windows), system tray, and menu bars have been removed.
Preparing a Quiz
To set up a quiz in Brightspace that requires students to use LockDown Browser, follow these steps:
1. Using a standard web browser, log into Brightspace as an instructor.
2. In the course, open the Quizzes tab and open the LockDown Browser Dashboard.
3. A list of deployed tests will be displayed.
- Quizzes labeled with “Required” require students to use LockDownBrowser
- Quizzes labeled with “Not Required” don’t require LockDownBrowser
4. To change the settings, select Settings from the context menu to the left of the quiz title and select the desired option.
You may additionally require that LockDown Browser be used to view quiz feedback and results.
Optionally you may create a password that students must enter to start the quiz. LockDown Browser will prompt students to enter the instructor-provided password before proceeding with the quiz.
5. Several Advanced Settings areavailable:
- The first setting will prevent students from exiting the browser until the exam is completed. This is sometimes used in testing centers where a proctor can enter a password to exit an exam.
- The second setting will allow students to take the exam with an iPad, using the free LockDown Browser app.
- The third setting will allow students to access a list of specified web domains during the exam.
- The fourth and fifth settings allow instructors to provide students with a calculator or print function in the LockDown Browser
- For additional information, select the [explain] link that follows each setting.
6. Click Save and Close to apply
Installing Lockdown Browser
LockDown Browser must be installed to each computer (Windows or Mac) being used to take a test.
- Open any quiz that requires the use of LockDown Browser from a regular browser.
- Download LockDown Browser from the link provided, following the instructions on the download page.
Taking a Quiz
From a student’s perspective, this is how LockDown Browser is used to take an assessment.
- Log into Brightspace with a regular browser, select the course and navigate to the exams.
- From this screen, the student can either install LockDown Browser or launch it to take the quiz.
1 - The first link will enable astudent to install LockDown Browser to the computer, if this is their first time using the browser.
2 - If the computer already has LockDown Browser installed, the student simply clicks “Launch LockDown Browser” to begin the quiz in LockDown Browser.
- If prompted to close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging), chooseYes.
- If a student is required to use a webcam to record themselves during a quiz, a Startup Sequence will guide the student through a webcam check and other items required by the instructor.
- Once a quiz has been started with LockDown Browser, the student cannot exit the quiz until the Submit Quiz button is clicked.
Other Training and Support resources
Respondus, Respondus LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor are registered trademarks of Respondus, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Copyright © 2018 Respondus