Chairs in University Teaching
2018 Chair in University Teaching
New Chairholder in University Teaching Seeks to Optimize the Development of Critical Thinking Across the uOttawa Campus
As part of the 3-year Chairship appointment, Professor King will lead this project collaboratively with the support of an interdisciplinary advisory committee consisting of representatives from different faculties, the library, the SASS, the TLSS and graduate and undergraduate students. The different theoretical and practical perspectives of critical thinking offered by this committee will help guide a pan-institutional scan of practices and the development and implementation of teaching and learning resources.
The project will be guided by the following research questions:
- Currently, within the University of Ottawa, how are students particularly well helped to develop critical thinking?
- How can we use knowledge from these successful experiences to enhance critical thinking across the university?
A presentation on Professor King’s project will take place on August 15that 2:15pm in FSS 4007 as part of the closing reception of the Orientation Program for New Professors. All members of the University community are welcome to attend.
This Year’s Chairholder
Professor Judy King is a physiotherapist with over 30 years of experience working in a variety of administrative, clinical, research and educational roles. She is associate professor at the University of Ottawa and has a clinical role as physiotherapist in the intensive care unit at The Ottawa Hospital. She has received both provincial and national awards for her teaching and mentoring of students and new health professionals. Her patient centred research focus is in the area of patient education, specifically as it relates to chronic disease management, particularly for people living with chronic cardiac and respiratory conditions across health care settings. Fields of study include health literacy, patient safety, transformative learning and mentorship.
The Chair in University Teaching Initiative
As part of the Transformation 2030 strategic plan, the University of Ottawa's Chairs in University Teaching underscore the University's commitment to instructional excellence by:
- Promoting innovative teaching and learning practices that will benefit the wider University community as grounded in a scholarly framework/model;
- Recognizing the value of educational leadership and excellence in University Teaching; and
- Supporting professors committed to the scholarly investigation of teaching and learning, translating to University wide transformation of instructional practices.
For more information about the Chair in University Teaching initiative or to read about the projects led by current and former Chairs, please visit the TLSS website at: www.tlss.uOttawa.ca/site/Chairs.